COMMUNITIES OF COLOR
BLACK VOTERS MATTER
“Black Voters Matter's goal is to increase power in marginalized, predominantly Black communities. Effective voting allows a community to determine its own destiny. We seek to achieve our goals with the following 5 core beliefs in mind:
• The key to effective civic engagement and community power is understanding, respecting and supporting local infrastructure.
• Black Voters Matter not only on election day, but on the 364 days between election days as well. This means we must support individuals and organizations that are striving to obtain social justice throughout the year.
• Black Voters Matter *everywhere*, including rural counties and smaller cities/towns that are often ignored by candidates, elected officials, political parties and the media.
• In order for Black voters to matter, we must utilize authentic messaging which speaks to our issues, connects with our hopes and affirms our humanity.
• The leadership, talent and commitment demonstrated by Black women in particular must receive recognition and, more importantly, *investment* in order to flourish and multiply.”
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED:
POST CARD WRITING
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGNING
“For too long, the Right has hoarded wealth and power by using strategic racism to convince white people that we have more in common with billionaires and corporate elites than with the people of color in our communities. At SURJ, we bring our folks in by offering a better alternative: a just, vibrant future where people of all races work together to win what we need. We do this work by building people power in multi-racial communities across our network — through campaigns, 200 chapters across the country, and deep local organizing projects.”